Since we don't have a garage and our shed is pretty small, we tend to "throw" a lot of things into the laundry room. But not only did I need to re-organize and re-model it for us, we hope it will be more appealing to a "buyer" some day!! After I finish my little projects, we'll be putting our house up for sale!
So, I started out by stripping everything out of the laundry room. Had a run-in with a couple of stripped screws. Man! What a pain! I got my dad to come over and help me get them out. Oh yea! I also pulled up the old quarter round. Then I worked on spackling all the holes and any other "imperfections" in the walls. Then came ONE of the fun parts!! I was FINALLY able to put my NEW CHRISTMAS present to good use!! Hubby got me a fantastic electric sander! I LOVE that thing!! So I got everything sanded down. I can't tell you how much of that spackling dust I inhaled! *GAG* After I had everything sanded down, I moved on to cleaning up the entire room: wiping down the walls with a washcloth, sweeping, and vacuuming the remaining things I couldn't get.
Then I started painting. I first painted my ceiling. Gave it a FRESH new look with a coat of paint. It takes me FOREVER to paint in the trim because I take my time and I'm still practicing on "cutting" it in so that I won't have to use tape! And I have to admit, I didn't do so bad this time either. So after I painted the baseboards, back of the door, door frame, and window frames, I started painting on the walls! After the walls, I worked on cleaning the circuit breaker cover. It had old white paint on the edges.
After several trips to Lowe's and back, I finally got a couple of new face plates for the light switches and electrical outlets. I also bought my cabinets and other stuff I would need later on. I ripped up the old floor and my hubby put down some stuff for the uneven floor. I'm not sure if the stuff in the jar is called "floor patch" or if that's just the term for fixing the floor. While the days keep passing by, the clothes kept piling up! It was a mess. I finally moved the washer and dryer back in for a day or two to wash some clothes.
I took a day off work this past Thursday so my dad and I could get some MAJOR work done. I moved the washer and dryer BACK out into the kitchen. Dad and I took the water heater out. He sweated off the copper pipes where the new flex hose would go. Took up the remaining old linoleum that was under the water heater. Dad cut the quarter round and I painted it. Dad sanded down the floor patch stuff. It was about as hard as cement! Nasty stuff! I cleaned up and completed painting the walls and trim behind the water heater (where I couldn't reach from my first go round). I shaped and cut a piece of the new floor to fill in the hole/space where the old water heater has set..other people that have lived here before just cut plywood and linoleum to fit AROUND the water heater instead of underneath it. So the little circle area was lower than the rest of the plywood on top. So I put in a piece of new flooring in there to fill up some space. I put in the new floating vinyl floor. Dad worked on the fittings (or whatever it's called) for the water heater. We put in the new quarter round. Then, set in the new drip pan, installed the water heater with new FLEX HOSE and a new electrical tube thingy (looks like a trachea to me). Made the circles in the wall look more appealing by placing flanges and a plastic piece of the holes. Swept. Brought back in the washer/dryer. Hooked everything back up. I gradually moved everything back in and washed some more clothes! I still have to install a clothing rod to hang wet clothes on to dry as well as a curtain for the window. But for the most part, it's done and I'm glad this BIG project is behind me! WHEW!
Oh yea! If you're wondering where all the stuff went that was stuffed in that room, I put everything out in our storage shed in the backyard and moved my Christmas boxes out from the storage shed to my father-in-laws place!